Hurricanes can be unpredictable at times and cause serious damage in some cases. Before the hurricane season begins you should ensure that you have all the necessary equipment on hand to protect your home and more importantly, your family. One way to protect your home is with the use of impact windows. Even though impact windows look just like regular windows, they provide protection against strong and damaging winds.
Why you should choose Impact over Shutter Windows
Both impact and shutter windows serve virtually the same purpose but there are a few differences that you might want to consider before choosing so as to better safeguard your family and your investment.
1. Impact windows already look like regular windows so you do not need to consider installing them on to your regular windows because they already operate as such. This gives you the option of watching the storm pass by without worrying about them becoming damaged. This also adds value to your home.
2. They are very durable, convenient and long-lasting. Unlike shutter windows that you have to remove and put up each season, impact windows stay on the entire time.
3. They are shatterproof which makes it impossible for an intruder to enter your home through a window.
4. Impact windows protects you and your family from harmful UV rays, which therefore reduces the amount of energy entering your home. A huge benefit of that is the reduction that you will see in your electricity bill.
5. The glass that makes impact windows are laminated and bonded together to improve overall thickness and its resistance to water. This means in the event of a flood or heavy rain water cannot enter your home through your windows.
Since shutter windows do not provide year round protection and require so much work to install and uninstall, they are a better option than plywood but quite inferior to impact windows. Impact windows are the entire package. Not only do they protect your home from water, UV rays and damage but they increase the value of your home.